31 JANUARY 2023
Move to Austria for free and get paid 1400 euros every month
Applications are now open for the Vienna BioCenter Summer School in Austria. This is a 9-week Research Program for Life Science Undergrads at one of Europe’s leading Research Centers
The Vienna Biocenter Summer School provides a unique opportunity for approx. 20 undergraduate students to work side by side with leading researchers in a dynamic scientific environment.
The programme aims to attract talented students from around the world, creating a vibrant and diverse atmosphere. It is the perfect preparation for those students who are interested in graduate study in the life sciences arena.
Applicants who are successful are provided with accommodation, a travel allowance and a stipend for the duration of the scholarship.
The program, starts on the last Friday in June and finishes on the last Friday of August (or 31 August) each year.
Each fellow will be allocated a faculty member, with whom they will work closely. The research project will focus on a current topic in the allocated lab.
Supported by a member of the laboratory the scholar will be expected to perform experiments, analyze data, generate ideas, and discuss their results.
In addition to practical laboratory work, the scholar will also take part in lab meetings, journal clubs, and other activities.
Participating in Labs/Open Positions
The Vienna Biocenter Summer School has 19 labs from many different disciplines taking part in this year’s call. A diverse range of research projects is available in Molecular biology, neuroscience, immunology, bioinformatics, RNA biology, stem cells, and biochemistry.
Application Details & Benefits
Selected fellows receive numerous benefits e.g. free student accommodation, a stipend of 1400 euros after tax for the nine-week program, medical insurance, and others.
Scholars will be housed free of charge in student accommodation. The complex features modern rooms that are internet-enabled, fully furnished, and have a shared bathroom and kitchen.
- Free student accommodation
- Each student will be awarded a stipend of 1400 euros after tax for the nine-week program
- Medical insurance is included in the contract for the nine weeks
- A free travel pass providing unlimited use of public transport within Vienna for the duration of the scholarship
- Reimbursement of travel costs to and from Vienna
- Numerous social events
Application Information: Eligibility Criteria
You need to be studying a degree in a Life Science related subject and have one of the following:
Completed at least 2 years of a University study (e.g. 2-3 years of a Bachelor (Hons) study or 1 year of a Master study – by 30 June) as follows:
- (i) In Year 3 of a 4-year BA (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in a Life Science related subject
- (ii) In Year 4 of a 4-year BA (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in a Life Science related subject WITH an acceptance or intention to apply to a Master program (this will be checked later)
- (iii) In Year 1 of a 2-year Master course, MSc in a Life Science related subject
- (iv) In Year 2 of a US undergraduate Bachelor in a Life Science related subject
- (v) In Year 2 of a 4-Year BTech (India) in a Life Science related subject
- 3-months research experience
- Good academic record
- High level of English language
- Evidence of enrolment in a University program for the current academic year and the next year (if possible)
- Important information for MD applicants. MDs may only apply if they have completed 3-4years of their studies and have the relevant research experience, they must also intend to study a PhD in a Life Science related subject after completion of their current studies
Applicants will be pleased to hear that the scientific program is complemented by an energetic social calendar. This includes An opening dinner, visits to famous sites in Vienna, a trip to a Heurigen, a final Summer School celebration, and our regular Friday evening social hours and other campus activities.
How to Apply
Applicants are invited from students (BA Hons, Master, MSc) from all around the world who are undergraduates/master students and have completed at least two years of university study in a Life Sciences related study.
Please check the relevant criteria and the link to the application form.
Interested students should complete the online application form. When applying applicants will be asked to specify the names of three lab heads in their order of preference.
While there is no guarantee that an applicant will be assigned to one of these labs, Vienna BioCenter Summer School will make its best efforts to do so.
You will also be asked to detail your educational and research experience.
- The call opened on 1 December 2022 and closes 31 January 2023 (2359 CET)
- Results are published on 15 March
- Summer School starts: 1 July (or the last Friday in June)
- Summer School ends: on 31 August (or the last Friday in August)
Dates are subject to change
Questions and Contact
The Vienna BioCenter Summer School receives approximately 3000 applications per call for this world-renowned school. Due to the number of inquiries they receive please check the Frequently Asked Questions before contacting the administrator. However, if there is a query that cannot be resolved you may contact them here.
Note: The Vienna BioCenter Summer School does not charge an application fee and welcomes applications from students (BA Hons, Master, MSc) from all around the world who are undergraduates/master students, and have completed at least two years of university study in a Life Sciences related study.